Thursday, 26 July 2012

Just for Fun 2: Ten Most “Meh” Places in the UK


Like the last Just for Fun list this is what the name says - just for fun, i.e this is to entertain myself. Any usefulness other people find in this is coincidental and unintended.

Now to be fair there was not really anywhere I did not like in the UK and a bad day on holidays is still better than any day…

But even a great trip has its “Meh!” and as an avid believer in “Meh” where “Meh” is due I give you my ten most Meh places of the UK.

1. Glasgow – I did not hate Glasgow, I did not hate any of the spots I visited in the UK it is just there was too much Meh here. My GPS worked all over the UK, that is until I tried to get to the Glasgow Hilton. I could see the Glasgow Hilton, I could drive past the Glasgow Hilton but I could not get to the Glasgow Hilton, at least not easily. After finally checking in I was keen to get myself some Irn Bru so I headed out to find a shop. Now on foot to avoid the issues I was having on road, I walked in circles before finally finding a shop. I know I’m not really being fair to Glasgow here because this was only a small slice of the town but I was happy to say Meh and head for the hills (literally).


2. Newcastle – we had to go to Newcastle being from the antipodal namesake. We liked the Angel of the North and nearby Alnwick and maybe if we had had more time we might have found more to like there but it was very much a case of “yep. Been there, now what’s next?”

3. Lake District – “Lovely, nice, right back in the car.”


4. Carlisle – “Look kids another castle, right back in the car.”

5. The M4 between Exit 19 and 20 – no need to say more.

6. The Forth Valley Royal Hospital – to be fair they did a great job and were a lot better than some Australian Hospitals I’ve been to with a sick family member it’s just that going to a hospital on your Holidays deserves a “Meh!”


7. The little village, whose name I can’t remember but which had a sign giving directions to toilets that did not exist when the kids really needed to go and then had toilets in another spot that were closed and then was a long way from any other place where there were toilets or even a spot to hide behind a tree. Yeah I can’t remember your name but that doesn’t matter because you should change it to “Meh, we don’t have any toilets” (Edit: it was called Strathyre)

8. Peterborough – the hotel was nice which was excellent as that was the only reason we went to Peterborough. This was more a case of being conveniently located close to someplace else I wanted to go so we stopped for the night then moved on. Nothing to see here, or maybe there was but we will never know as I had somewhere else to go.

9. Bristol – We went shopping, I got some jeans.


10. Brisbane Airport – after over 20 hours in the air flying home getting diverted 40 minutes out of Sydney because of fog was not fun, sitting on the tarmac in Brisbane for 2 hours was less fun.

Looking at this list I can still find bright spots associated with all of the above so we didn’t do to badly.

No comments: