Wednesday, 25 July 2012

Just For Fun 1: Top Ten Places I’d Like To Live In the UK.


I was in the UK back in March and April for a holiday and really enjoyed the trip. Of course there is a lot of UK on the TV at the moment due to some sort of sporting event happening there next week and so as I have been seeing bits and pieces of places I visited it has been reminding me of my trip.

This morning a saw a few seconds of a TV show filmed on the west coast of Scotland just north of one of the places I visited. The presenter of this show said it was one of his favourite parts of Britain and the best place to live.

On my drive to work I thought about that. I will never live in the UK, although I’d love to visit again, so this list really is just for fun. Note: This is my list of places I would like to live if I was there long term and is only based on the places I visited.

1. Stirling – I much preferred Stirling to its bigger sister Edinburgh. Even a minor medical emergency and trip the Forth Valley Royal Hospital did not spoil my brief stay in this fantastic town. While I spent most of my time exploring the tourist stuff I really liked the more everyday places and could easily see myself living there for a year or two.



2. West coast of Scotland – I almost put this as number one but it is just a bit too remote, which is ironic because that’s a big part of its appeal. I loved Oban, Connel and Mull Island. If I was in anyway gifted at growing stuff I could see a small croft by the loch as a great option but more likely I’d live in town and become a rambler.

3. York – The Stirling of England*. Although only there for the day I thought it looked very liveable and think I could happily settle there. A place where I would leave the car at home and walk as much as possible.



4. Cardiff – I was really impressed with what they have built in this city over the last twenty plus years, they just seem to be getting things right. Cardiff has everything you might want and is not so big you can’t enjoy it.



5. Bath – I think I’d be happy living here for the first 2-3 month and then I’d be over it otherwise I would have put it higher on this list, still a lovely place.



6. Winchester – A nice town and a nice part of the country.



7. Edinburgh – I really can’t say why this is not higher on the list, I had a great time there and would be happy to live there but I think I would just rather live in Stirling and go to Edinburgh every other weekend.



8. Hay-on-WyeBooks, books, books, books, books, books, books, books, books, books, books, books, books, books, books, books, books, books, books, books, books, books, books, books, books, books, books, books, books. It’s also a really nice place, even if it is a bit out of the way. Not everyone would pick a place to live based on the abundance of books but to those people I say “books”.



9. London – I loved London, but living there? Yeah, I would for a while but not long. The reason I put this so low is much the same reason Sydney would not even make the list if I was doing this for Australian places. I was born in a big city, I don’t mind visiting big cities but I will never live in one. Having said that I’d take London over Sydney any day. Sydney thinks it’s enough to just be big, London knows it’s not the size that counts it’s what you do with it.



10. Just about any village we drove through. Living someplace small in Australia often means living a long way from some place else. Seriously, I use to dive 500 km to visit family and drive through 4 towns along the way. In the UK you dive 10 miles and you pass though twice that many. Nowhere really feels like it’s that far from the action and there are a lot of really nice quite places that I’d be more than happy to call home.




* by "The Stirling of England" I just mean while this is number three for me in the UK it is number one in England.

No comments: